Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 5--a Roller Coaster Ride.

Today started out with Ryan feeling SO good. He was walking all over, cracking jokes about breaking out of there. The dr. told us early on that we would not be going home today because his liver enzymes keep going up. Also he said they would be doing an MRI on the lower spine (that's 3 MRIs now, 2 CT Scans, 2 spinal taps and a blood patch that required a needle in the spine, one ultra -sound and way too many other blood draws, sticks, antibiotics and pain meds to count!). Dr. Cobb, the infectious disease dr. whom we lovingly consider our own Dr. House, came in for another visit (I missed this one because we didn't know he was coming, Ryan was napping so I was out taking a walk around the halls and talking to Ryan's sister just to get a change of scenery and some other company to talk to for a while). He said they still don't know the sub-strain of Salmonella and don't know if that is all that is going on or not so he has ordered a HIDA Scan, where they use radioactive tracers to go through his system and get a better idea of what is going on with the gall bladder (because that affects the liver enzymes). SO back to Ryan he was feeling great until after the MRI around 1 pm. He started to get a headache and it got progressively worse until they finally gave him some Hyrdacodon and Tylenol, these didn't help so they ended up giving him more morphine, which did finally kick the head ache and he got back to feeling MUCH better before I left. We played a game of Risk, which he won of course, and then I also brought the Xbox in for him so that is what he was doing when I left at 10 pm. I left strict instructions for the nurse that if he still had it on at Midnight they had orders from me to TAKE THE XBOX AWAY! He has has some really great nurses and CNAs while being there and we really appreciate all of them. The doctors all say his has been a "very interesting" case. Everyone is very sorry that they can't figure out what is wrong and that he's had to go through so much. Thankfully he doesn't have a problem with needles so that hasn't been an issue but he has still been put through A LOT! Thanks to Matt Lowe for the visit today. The visitors really break up the day a bit and we really appreciate them. Hopefully, again, we'll have more answers tomorrow and he can come home soon. That's all for now!

2 comments:

The DeMille Digest said...

Holy CRAP! I just read your blog today for the first time and I had no idea. I will keep you both in my prayers. That sucks that Ryan is still in the hospital...that must really suck. How are your kids doing? Do you need any help watching them? I can help if you need any. Let me know if there is anything I can do. PLEASE!

Matt said...

After you mentioned getting the xbox for Ryan, I thought that it would be fun to stop by again and play halo with him. But I would feel bad for beating Ryan when he feels so bad already. I am glad that things are looking brighter!